When you plan your day trip, food may not be on your mind.
Eating while traveling can tend to be unhealthy.
This is due to eating on the run, and eating what you can find when you are hungry.
A lot of times, that means fast food is the meal of choice.
Fortunately, you can plan so that you and your family have healthy meals on your day trip.
Here are 6 ways to eat healthy while traveling on your day trip.
1. Pack a cooler with water and drink it regularly. Not only will have a cooler full of water save you money, but it will keep you hydrated and healthy.
2. Make and pack healthy snacks for your day trip. Avoid the pre-packaged snacks, which can have unhealthy additives. Instead, focus on dried fruits, nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables with dips such as organic peanut butter and hummus.
3. Don’t go crazy and eat a lot junk food just because you are on a mini-vacation. A little ice cream or other small indulgence won’t hurt you, but stick to healthy choices when you are in restaurants.
4. Try to not stress on your day trip because stress releases cortisol, which increases your appetite for sweets. If you feel yourself getting stressed, practice some deep breathing techniques.
5. Focus on eating nutrient-rich foods, such as whole grains, vegetables and lean protein. And for desserts, opt for items that are fruit based.
6. Eat at grocery stores instead of restaurants. Some grocery stores have salad bars and hot bars. You can also usually get things like pre-made salads and sandwiches at most grocery stores. In the U.S., you can find a lot of quick, healthy options at Whole Foods grocery stores. In Europe, try to find a Marks & Spencer grocery store for a healthy selection of pre-made sandwiches and salads.